DIY:Budget friendly Herb Garden


You need - a crate. paints, brushes, sponge, crafting knife, cutting board, tracing paper.
Waaaay back I promised my sister I would do her a herb garden for her new house and I knew I wanted to do some sort of wooden rustic box. Initially I was going to get one from H&M home but the one I wanted kept selling out and I had seen another wooden storage in Ikea I had decided to get so I could personalise it. When I was there I came across this little crate and I knew it would be perfect!! 
First off I painted the box red with just a bog standard acrylic paint, I had tried to sand the wood down but I don't really feel like it added anything when applying the paints. Then I stencil'd their name and fresh herbs onto some tracing paper and cut this out. Don't worry if your cut out doesn't look perfect you can always paint over any imperfections. Then I dabbed on some white paint, dabbing with a sponge worked A LOT better than doing it with a brush- et Voila! It's done! 
I got a block of soil from Ikea for £2 and you don't even need half of it to fill this up! I also got a pack of 8 herbs from B&Q for around a fiver so for £12 in total it's a great and personal gift to do for someone that doesn't break the bank.
Depending on what colour you want the crate, what you want to write and how brave you are at free handing - you can knock down the amount of tools needed. I did think after that maybe I should have lined it with some sort of plastic to make it deeper but for standard kitchen herbs it should be deep enough. So that's another option that you could do! You can also buy already grown herbs and just re-pot them!
if you try this let me know!! 
x
Keep up to date with my latest posts by following me! :)
- Bloglovin - Twitter - Instagram - Pinterest - Youtube

No comments